6151513845_8378f319ca_b

I couldn’t decide on the perfect cake to celebrate my little girl turning one. So I did what any normal person would do – I made three cakes.

It’s possible I regretted this decision as I frantically frosted while the list of things yet to do grew longer and longer as time went on. But in the end there were three. Every little girl needs three cakes at her birthday.

6151512617_976deafce4_b 6152060334_180550b7ba_b

Many of you commented on the gradient cake from this post. Layers of pink fondant subtly change in tone creating a sweet, modern looking cake. In the name of birthday parties everywhere, my husband and I created a video to show the process of creating this cake.

I used Fondarific Buttercream Antique White Fondant and also Fondarific Buttercream Red Fondant. As lovely as this fondant smells I still prefer to peel mine off rather than eating it. My children, however, love the stuff.

You will also need a frosted cake, water and a paintbrush, a straight edge (or a good eye), pizza cutter (or sharp knife), rolling pin, and powdered sugar to keep the fondant from sticking.

Begin by covering your cake in a 1/4″ thick layer of fondant.

Roll out the darkest color of the gradient to about 1/8″ thick and cut into two roughly 1″ strips. Use powdered sugar to prevent sticking. Apply a small amount of water to the back of the strips than place on the base of the cake. Apply both strips then add some white to the first gradient color to create a lighter tone. Continue the process until you reach the top of the cake.

Keep the seams in the same place.

There it is.

6152060496_d1957b8b29_b 6151516959_e8903e3603_b

79 Responses to “Video: Gradient Cake”

1. tracy

HOLY S word!! What an incredible video! I love how your blonde hair comes into the frame a little bit. So cute! Great job, Gabe.

2. tea_austen

Such a great video–and gorgeous cake. For a moment there, *I* wanted to be your daughter, to relive my dreams of the pink childhood I never got :-)

3. Cindy R

You make it look so easy! I also have to say that that yellow cake you made was the best yellow cake I’ve ever eaten!

4. Trace

Poo! Can’t see with an iPad. I’ll have to go dig out the laptop. Love viewing your blog with an iPad to catch all the lucious beauty of your photos. :)

5. Kathryn

Oh I love that! Not only was the video gorgeous to watch but it actually made me think that I might be able to do it myself one day. Thank you so much for sharing!

6. Kelley Green

Absolutely fabulous Ashley! The cake and the video were beautiful and wonderfully professional looking. I’m in awe. I’m about to do a cake for my daughter’s birthday and this may be it. :)k

7. Nicole Franzen

so cute ash! love seeing your little face ;) really beautiful! uber creative, i am so terrible at baked goods and it always amazes me how some do it with such ease.

8. Kenya

Wow!
    I’ve been meaning to comment for a while now. I think I subscribed about a week ago… I was sitting at home watching that commercial about dishwasher cleaners that I’d seen several times, and being the skeptic I am when it comes to marketing/advertising, I wanted to see if the blog “Not without salt” was real. My google search said it was, and I’ve been smitten every since!
    The work you do is beautiful! I love to eat, and am a photography enthusiast, so your combined talents bring me joy.
    Lastly- the cake is awesome and so is the video! I love that you don’t speak, and have music in the background while you work as the instructions flash across the screen… in a way, it gives the feeling of being there with you, and makes it more interactive. Great job! Keep going!

9. Rachel

I love the style of your video how to’s. You simplify things enough to get people to actually try things for themselves. Beautiful cake. Bravo!

10. Dajda

That’s a very good video and I loved watching you at work, so confidently cutting the pink slices and glueing them to the cake. Thank you!

11. My Little Expat Kitchen

Hey Ashley and Gabe! Great video. You guys are so talented.
    As I was watching the video just now, my boyfriend was sitting on the couch and could only hear the music. He as well as I was intrigued by the music. What is it? Song, artist, please? :)
    Magda

12. Laure

Hello!
    I have been following your stories, recipes and other day to day joys for about a year or so now, but never took the chance to comment on your posts.. I was just curious about the flowers you put on the cake, did you buy them or made them yourself? It looks stunning.
    Hope I will keep learning from you for a long time to come! :)

13. Carolyn Jung

Now, that is one memorable cake. Talk about a Technicolor beauty! I’m with you on the fondant, though. I love how it looks. But the taste? Not so much. ;)

14. Paula

First off: thank you, thank you, thank you for posting the video about this cake. I was so excited to see it!

Secondly: I absolutely love the video!!! The editing, the music, everything. It was fantastic. I don’t know how time consuming this was, but I would definitely consider doing these more often for certain techniques and what not. I know that it would definitely be a valuable reference as well as entertaining.

15. Gabe

The song is New Theory by Washed Out. They have a few great albums I would highly recommend buying.

16. Lauren

Love your video! I love how neat and clean your kitchen is–and the fact that you somehow managed to not be covered in powdered sugar! I usually get it all over, even when I wear an apron…

I’m going to have to check out Fondarific!