4701009935_8f0bbc2002_b

You better believe me when I tell you that you have just found the last Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe you will ever need. I know. I am not the first person to claim this weighty statement. After all, it wasn’t that long ago that this recipe was spreading as quickly as that nasty stomach virus that infected our entire family over Christmas.

In actuality everyone’s definition of the perfect chocolate chip cookie is different. Asking 20 people what qualities define their perfect cookie and I am sure you are going to get as many different responses. I will say however that I have converted many followers to my recipe. In fact, just recently I was told that I had ruined someone from ever eating another cookie that wasn’t this one. And for that I am not sorry and I am not surprised.

My perfect cookie is varied in texture. The exterior rim, the color of golden brown sugar, is perfectly crisp. Beyond the crunch there lies varying levels of chewy gooey-ness. I remove the cookies from the oven just when the edges start to brown. People think I’m crazy and question my timing as the cookies appear under baked. But I assure them that I am a professional I have done this thousands of times. The cookies continue to bake on the tray and as they cool the gooey center transforms to a perfectly chewy interior. Cookie eaters question no longer.

4701644904_c90309a748_b (1)

updated photo

The dough, although perfectly flavored with salt and a high proportion of brown sugar, exists to hold the chunks of chocolate in place. That’s right I said chunks and not chips. The funny, (more sad than funny) thing about chocolate chips is that they are filled with substance similar to wax. I don’t know about you but I don’t really enjoy eating wax. The reason for the wax in the chips is so that they do not melt – they hold their shape, which is quite cute but I’ll take taste over cuteness any day. Using couverture (fancy name for quality chocolate that is used for coating truffles and such) allows the chocolate to melt and pool. If you were to break these cookies in half you would see layers of chocolate and dough – similar to the layers in puff pastry, and you all know how crazy I am about those layers.

ccc5

Look how much Roman loves cookies (actually he wasn’t eating the cookies he just always looks that happy)

I use large chunks of bittersweet chocolate, lots of brown sugar, a touch of Turbinado sugar, and sprinkle of  salt on top – making these this the last chocolate chip cookie recipe you will ever need.

THE Chocolate Chip Cookie
8 oz.         2 sticks butter
2 oz          1/4 cup white sugar
2 oz          1/4 cup Turbinado sugar
12 oz        1 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
2  eggs
1/4 oz       2 tsp vanilla
1 lb.          3 1/2 cup All Purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp Baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 lb. chocolate (use the best quality chocolate you can afford. With a serrated knife cut chocolate chunks roughly 1/2 inch)
Cream the butter and the sugars until light. Scrape down the side of the bowl. Continue mixing while adding the eggs one at time. Make sure each egg is incorporated before adding the next. Add the vanilla. Scrape down the bowl with a spatula. Combine the flour, soda and salt in another bowl. With a whisk, stir to combine. With the machine on low, slowly add the flour. Mix until just combined, taking care not to over mix. With a spatula fold in the chocolate.
If you so choose, and I do recommend that you do, sprinkle a very fine dusting of good quality sea salt. Fleur de Sel or Murray River Pink Salt are my recommendations.
Bake at 360* for 12 minutes. They should be lightly golden on the outside but still look gooey on the inside.

THE Chocolate Chip Cookie

2 sticks butter (8 oz)

1/4 cup white sugar (2 oz )

1/4 cup Turbinado sugar (2 oz )

1 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed (12 oz )

2  eggs

2 tsp vanilla (1/4 oz)

3 1/2 cup All Purpose flour (1 lb. )

1 1/2 tsp Baking soda

3/4 tsp salt

1 lb. chocolate (use the best quality chocolate you can afford. With a serrated knife cut chocolate chunks roughly 1/2 inch)

1/2 teaspoon good quality salt, for sprinkling on top before baking

Cream the butter and the sugars until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes on medium high. Scrape down the side of the bowl. Continue mixing while adding the eggs one at time. Make sure each egg is incorporated before adding the next. Add the vanilla. Scrape down the bowl with a spatula. Combine the flour, soda and salt in another bowl. With a whisk to combine. With the machine on low, slowly add the flour. Mix until just combined, taking care not to over mix. With a spatula fold in the chocolate.

212 Responses to “the last chocolate chip cookie…”

1. stacy

Just took my first batch out of the oven! Amazing! Love the baby picture, so adorable..

2. Kristin

Your website is so amazing and inspirational. All of the recipes I’ve tried from Not Without Salt have been fabulous! These cookies were no exception, and I consider myself to be the ultimate chocolate chip cookie fan and have tried at least a dozen various chocolate chip cookie recipes.

I made your BL-slow roasted-T’s for my husband and me last week, also fantastic. I hope to make your poppyseed cake with strawberries and mascarpone next weekend for a special birthday. Please keep the deliciousness coming!

3. Peaches

Hi Ashley! Thanks a bunch for sharing this recipe. I and my family soooo love it! It is indeed the best! Just want to ask what you think went wrong with my cookies. After baking, they came out soft and chewy just the way I like but they turned crispy after a few days. Can you give me suggestions on how to keep them chewy please? Looking forward to your reply. Thanks!

4. Penny

Ashley…you rock girl! I have eaten my weight in cookies over the years. I love a good chocolate chip that has a crunch on the outside, but is chewy heaven on the inside. So hard to perfect. I haven’t made your recipe yet, but I am making a grocery list as soon as I hear back from you. I have volunteered to make cookies for my daughter’s field trip this Thursday. I am making your cookies! What kind of flour do you use (bleached, un-bleached, pre-sifted, King Aurthur?) I have had my battles with flat cookies too. I know one thing for sure, I have never beat my butter that long so that could be the problem. There seems to be some debate over room temp butter or cold. I was always taught room temp. What do you suggest? Do you use cold eggs directly from frig or do you let them sit on the counter for a while? I would love to be able to duplicate your recipe. I could eat the computer screen. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recipe and all your insight!

Penny – So honored to have my cookies be along on the field trip! I use Gold Medal unbleached flour. My butter is room temp. If it feels a little cold just beat for a couple minutes longer. I will often pull my eggs out cold then run under warm water for 20 seconds to release the chill. Sometimes I’m too lazy and I don’t do that – I don’t notice much of a difference. I hope that helps!

5. Annette

Chewy center, large pockets of high quality melted chocolate throughout- it doesn’t get much better than that. Thanks for the recipe.

6. Caitlin

I am going to make these in like 30 min!!! they look so good! And my brothers name is roman!!

7. Claudia

Thanks for posting your recipe! My family loved these cookies. I found the first batch disappointing. I could taste the baking soda. So I refrigerated the rest of the dough. For the next three days I made more cookies from the same batch of dough. I found that each day the cookies tasted better and better. No longer tasting baking soda. On the third day the cookies tasted the best. Next time, I’ll just make the dough three days before I want the cookies.

8. Tammy

I just made these cookies, and oh my yummy!!!! I have never had a better chocolate chip cookie…the kids loved them. I used Hersey’s dark chocolate because that’s all I had, but they were still incredible. And the sea salt is a definite must.

9. Gretchen

Just made these cookies last night for the first time. I was so happy to find a recipe where I could find everything on it in Germany (where we just moved). They are simply delicious! I did overcook the first batch a little because I made them a little on the small side. But after that, I learned I just needed to make them bigger and keep a better eye on them in the oven. Otherwise amazing. I also couldn’t find the Turbinado sugar in the market, but just substituted more brown sugar instead. Thanks so much for such a wonderful recipe.

10. Daniela

Hi Ashley, I made these amazing cookies today, and I am amazed how much good chocolate chunks make a difference. They were crunch on the outside and gooey on the inside just like you said. My only problem was that they turned out looking completely different than yours. While yours look like a perfect cookie, mine looked like squished brain if you can imagine, more flat than yours and not nearly as smooth as yours.
    I scooped them with two spoons a shaping them in balls and followed all the instructions. Should I chill the dough before doing this? I would really like to achieve the look of your cookies!

11. Amy

Excellent website you have here but I was curious about if you knew of any message boards that cover the same topics talked about in this article?
    I’d really love to be a part of group where I can get feed-back from other experienced individuals that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Kudos!

12. Gluten Free Diets

You actually make it seem really easy with your presentation however I in finding this topic to be really something that I feel I might never understand.

It kind of feels too complicated and extremely wide for me.
    I’m taking a look forward in your subsequent put up, I’ll
    try to get the hang of it!

13. Natasha

Are they supposed to be cake-like? They are very thick and I’m not a fan of cake-like cookies. I feel like I did something wrong. Did I maybe over mix the batter?

Natasha – Mine generally aren’t cake like. Did you scoop them from the bowl or roll into a log and slice? If you scooped them straight from the bowl try pressing them down a bit before baking. Also, check the freshness of your baking soda – if you want them a bit thinner you can add a bit more soda to the mix.

14. Eliza

Amazing! My 8 year old made these twice in 2 days. They disappeared almost instantly. SOOO awesome. Thank you!

15. Elyssa

I made these last night after having such great success with the sweet/savory nuts. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) I didn’t have as much chocolate as I thought so I ended up just throwing in anything chocolate in the house (a Godiva milk chocolate bar, a dark chocolate Ritter Sport with Hazelnuts). I only had about 10oz but it was more than enough.

These are GREAT, thank you for sharing, they were a hit last night!!

16. video female condom

naturally like your web site however you have to check the spelling on quite a few of your posts.
    Many of them are rife with spelling problems and
    I to find it very bothersome to tell the truth on the other hand I will definitely come back again.

17. Erika

Well, time to throw away my other chocolate chip cookie recipes…I’m never going back! Made this last night and brought to the office today….already received many rave reviews! I was always the weird girl that picked out chocolate chips from chocolate chip cookies – had no idea changing the chocolate would make such a difference.
    Thanks for the ego boost I am getting today from making these bites of deliciousness!

18. Si

This is the first recipe I have seen with Turbinado sugar in the recipe. I am intrigued, and will pin this to try next time I make a batch of cc cookies, which seems to be about every third day! thanks!

19. Sharon

Who cares about ‘best ever’–can anyone have too many excellent cookie recipes on hand?? I just made these and I have to echo to take them out before you think you should–one batch I took out right at 12 minutes with just the edges brown & my husband was wary, so the other batch was in until they were browner…first batch was amazing!! take them out before they are brown!!! Darn good cookies.

20. Jeanne L

I just made these last night and I must agree. It IS the last chocolate chip cookie recipe you will ever need! My sons friend actually gave the best compliment for your recipe…he said they were orgasmic! Thank you for my new favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe! Sorry Toll House 😉

21. Hollie

I’ll let you know… I’ve baked these over and over again. Almost 4 times times and they just keep getting better and better! I add half the chocolate (it’s SUCH a rich cookie already with the ton of sugar) and I bake exactly 11 min. I DROOL over these, and have been known to eat 2 for breakfast!

22. Katie V.

These cookies look delicious and I can’t wait to try out the recipe. I laughed when you said people raise their eyebrows at you when you take the cookies out of the oven “too early.” In my opinion, the gooey center of the cookie is what makes it so great. Also, thanks for the tip about chocolate chips- I’ll keep it in mind next time I go to the grocery store. Do you have any good recipes for other kinds of cookies? I’m a huge peanut butter fan, so a recipe for peanut butter cookies would be fantastic. :)

23. Hollie

I just thought I would let you know. I found this recipe almost half a year ago and still use it! I’ve made this at LEAST a dozen times now and I STILL get comments about how amazing these are! You have made my cookie world quite delicious. Thanks for the amazing recipe!