4701009935_8f0bbc2002_b

You better believe me when I tell you that you have just found the last Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe you will ever need. I know. I am not the first person to claim this weighty statement. After all, it wasn’t that long ago that this recipe was spreading as quickly as that nasty stomach virus that infected our entire family over Christmas.

In actuality everyone’s definition of the perfect chocolate chip cookie is different. Asking 20 people what qualities define their perfect cookie and I am sure you are going to get as many different responses. I will say however that I have converted many followers to my recipe. In fact, just recently I was told that I had ruined someone from ever eating another cookie that wasn’t this one. And for that I am not sorry and I am not surprised.

My perfect cookie is varied in texture. The exterior rim, the color of golden brown sugar, is perfectly crisp. Beyond the crunch there lies varying levels of chewy gooey-ness. I remove the cookies from the oven just when the edges start to brown. People think I’m crazy and question my timing as the cookies appear under baked. But I assure them that I am a professional I have done this thousands of times. The cookies continue to bake on the tray and as they cool the gooey center transforms to a perfectly chewy interior. Cookie eaters question no longer.

4701644904_c90309a748_b (1)

updated photo

The dough, although perfectly flavored with salt and a high proportion of brown sugar, exists to hold the chunks of chocolate in place. That’s right I said chunks and not chips. The funny, (more sad than funny) thing about chocolate chips is that they are filled with substance similar to wax. I don’t know about you but I don’t really enjoy eating wax. The reason for the wax in the chips is so that they do not melt – they hold their shape, which is quite cute but I’ll take taste over cuteness any day. Using couverture (fancy name for quality chocolate that is used for coating truffles and such) allows the chocolate to melt and pool. If you were to break these cookies in half you would see layers of chocolate and dough – similar to the layers in puff pastry, and you all know how crazy I am about those layers.

ccc5

Look how much Roman loves cookies (actually he wasn’t eating the cookies he just always looks that happy)

I use large chunks of bittersweet chocolate, lots of brown sugar, a touch of Turbinado sugar, and sprinkle of  salt on top – making these this the last chocolate chip cookie recipe you will ever need.

THE Chocolate Chip Cookie
8 oz.         2 sticks butter
2 oz          1/4 cup white sugar
2 oz          1/4 cup Turbinado sugar
12 oz        1 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
2  eggs
1/4 oz       2 tsp vanilla
1 lb.          3 1/2 cup All Purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp Baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 lb. chocolate (use the best quality chocolate you can afford. With a serrated knife cut chocolate chunks roughly 1/2 inch)
Cream the butter and the sugars until light. Scrape down the side of the bowl. Continue mixing while adding the eggs one at time. Make sure each egg is incorporated before adding the next. Add the vanilla. Scrape down the bowl with a spatula. Combine the flour, soda and salt in another bowl. With a whisk, stir to combine. With the machine on low, slowly add the flour. Mix until just combined, taking care not to over mix. With a spatula fold in the chocolate.
If you so choose, and I do recommend that you do, sprinkle a very fine dusting of good quality sea salt. Fleur de Sel or Murray River Pink Salt are my recommendations.
Bake at 360* for 12 minutes. They should be lightly golden on the outside but still look gooey on the inside.

THE Chocolate Chip Cookie

2 sticks butter (8 oz)

1/4 cup white sugar (2 oz )

1/4 cup Turbinado sugar (2 oz )

1 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed (12 oz )

2  eggs

2 tsp vanilla (1/4 oz)

3 1/2 cup All Purpose flour (1 lb. )

1 1/2 tsp Baking soda

3/4 tsp salt

1 lb. chocolate (use the best quality chocolate you can afford. With a serrated knife cut chocolate chunks roughly 1/2 inch)

1/2 teaspoon good quality salt, for sprinkling on top before baking

Cream the butter and the sugars until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes on medium high. Scrape down the side of the bowl. Continue mixing while adding the eggs one at time. Make sure each egg is incorporated before adding the next. Add the vanilla. Scrape down the bowl with a spatula. Combine the flour, soda and salt in another bowl. With a whisk to combine. With the machine on low, slowly add the flour. Mix until just combined, taking care not to over mix. With a spatula fold in the chocolate.

212 Responses to “the last chocolate chip cookie…”

1. Meghan

These look amazing! Quick question – do you sprinkle the salt over the cookies after you have dropped them on the cookie sheet, or do you mix it into the dough?
    Thanks! Can’t wait to try them!

2. Tenaya

My search for the ultimate chocolate chip cookie just ended. Thank you so much for the perfect recipe. Not only do they taste fantastic; they look beautiful and have the perfect blend of textures.

3. Brownie

Hi Ashley, wow this is one good chocolate chip cookie. I have to ration them if not I’ll end up eating the whole batch!! I cheated and used Callebaut chips so I didn’t get that gooey goodness. Next time, I’ll go that extra mile to use couverture. Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

4. Elise

I’ve been using Turinado sugar and light brown sugar in my cookies for years now. I use Mexican Vanilla and Ghiardelli Semisweet bars to cut into chunks. I prefer pink Himalayan Sea Salt. I use a rolling pun to crush it. I’ve been putting it on my cookies for a long time ever since falling in love with sea-salted caramels. I use unsalted butter in mine and a bit more vanilla. I usually undercooked my cookies as well.

5. Regina Carlisle

I so want to try these but I have 2 questions:
    1. Is your butter softened or cold for this recipe?
    2. Do you let the dough chill before baking?
    Thanks, Regina

6. Sharon

Hi Ashley

I don’t bake much and this recipe sounds divine. What happens once you’ve made the dough – how much do you spoon out for each cookie? Can you keep the rest in the fridge and make a a tray a day?

7. Dian

I have tried at least 50 chocolate chip cookie recipes including the New York Times version. I must say that this one is the best. It is slightly deceiving because coming out of the oven they don’t look very special…but one bite…oh my goodness…and you’re hooked!

8. Nikki

My go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe has failed me so many times that I decided I needed to move on. I am hosting the reception after an old-timey radio show that my good friends and I put on and I just tested out this recipe. I can’t wait to make these and give them out to everyone! Honestly the best cookie recipe I’ve ever made. Thank you for sharing!

9. April

I have tried this recipe once exactly as written and my son and I passed them around at our local town parade last weekend. They were a hit! I wanted to bake again this weekend but didn’t want too many sweets in the house. I had a box of hot cereal packets, the super whole grainey all natural crunchy stuff that I didn’t care for cooked, but it had a great texture and honey and cinnamon flavor I thought might taste good in bar form. So I made your cookie dough base, (sans the turbinado as it was full of natural sweet stuff) and added an extra egg and made a grainy sweet buttery granola cake. I wasn’t sure it was going to work out, but my husband, picky eater trophy winner 43 years and running, loved it!! My 4 year old loved them too, but was confused as to where the chocolate was. Thanks for the great recipe and even better blog!

10. Karen Steph

I baked these cookies today, with the help of my delightful, yet slightly over-enthusiastic 2-year-old son. I’ve been searching for THE chocolate chip cookie recipe for too long now and not one of them has wowed me. Until today. I have called of the search. THE recipe has been found. My only dilemma now is: do I make the uninspiring cookies that never tempted me to eat them; or do I use this recipe exclusively and resign myself to buying a larger size in jeans every season……

11. mya

i would really like 2 try dis…but i cant get the turbinado sugar…can i substitute it with something else?

12. nbc

These cookies look amazing. I baked a batch and they didn’t quite turn out the same. Do you use parchment paper on your baking sheets? My batter seemed a little dry- I used large eggs, would extra large be better? I did sub regular sugar for the Turbinado. Also, 12 minutes didn’t seem long enough as they didn’t seem to cook too much more on the sheet as they cooled. The added salt is a very nice touch. I did use regular semi-sweet chunks as I also find it challenging to chop chocolate in consistent chunks. Any other advice would be very helpful- I want to end my search for the perfect cookie recipe!
    Thanks!

@Nina – I’m so sorry they didn’t turn out. I do use parchment on the baking sheet. If you don’t have parchment use pan spray. Try extra large eggs next time to see the difference. The regular sugar shouldn’t have made too much of a difference. The turbinado is there for flavor and a textural difference. As all ovens are different it is hard to create a very accurate baking time. For my oven at 360* 12 minutes is perfect. But there are so many variables – is your oven accurate? How big are your cookies? etc. The other thing is that I like my cookies very soft internally, others may not.
      Don’t worry about the chocolate chunks being consistent. The idea is that the chocolate melts into the cookie. You can have chunks as big as 1″ with everything still turning out beautifully.
      I hope this helps!

13. nbc

Ashley, Thanks so much for the quick feedback. Yes, I do use parchment paper, so luckily that is the same. I will switch to extra large eggs next time. I will make the cookies a little smaller, too. Good to know big chunks shouldn’t make a difference. I do like my cookies soft and chewy on the inside, too. So, I hope to get them right. My oven is pretty accurate, but that can always be tricky. I was surprised that there are 3 1/2 C of flour- I think that is the most I have ever used in a cookie recipe (with proportion to eggs). But, I (and my husband, kids and coworkers) am more than willing to keep experimenting to get it right! Thanks again.
    BTW- I love the peony photo on your blog- my favorite flower and it brightens my day every time I visit!

14. Mrs. L

I made these last night for my husband’s birthday. They were so incredible we ended up eating them for “dinner”. I had to put the leftovers in the freezer before things got really out of hand.

15. Norma

I do agree that the chocolate chips do taste very waxy.I’m switching over to the other chocolate,should be fun slicing up the chocolate.I have the Miele wall oven so I’m going to bake them at the convention oven temperature.

16. Ashley

First, I need to tell you that these are the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever made. I even found that when I accidentally left them in the oven a bit too long, the chocolate and sugar caramelized, making, what I thought would be a sad, slightly burnt batch, a success. So THANKS!

However, when I bake the cookies, my chocolate oozes everywhere, and I end up losing a lot of the chocolate from actually being in the cookie. They’re still fabulous, but I’d rather not sacrifice my chocolate to the bottom of the cookie sheet. Any suggestions? Do you think this is has to do with the kind of chocolate (Ghiradelli & Lindt bars, chopped) I’m using? Or the size of my chocolate pieces?

17. Annie

Had an office party dessert social and was looking for something to make. I did use the three different kinds of sugar but the two things I did different was 1) lessen the salt and did not put any salt on top of the cookies, and 2) used regular semi-sweet chocolate chips. I was a bit skeptical about the 12 minute cooking time but boy oh boy I’m a believer now! The cookies turned out great. Your recipe is a keeper! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

18. Courtney

I wanted to let you know I stumbled on this recipe this fall and have made it countless times since! I am so happy to finally have found the perfect chocolate chip cookie! The dough is easy to mix up and always bakes up great. I have experimented by adding coconut extract and coconut to make coconut chocolate cookies, and peppermint extract and baking cocoa to make chocolate mint cookies and they have all been delicious. Thanks so much!

19. Erin

I’m excited to try this. Can anyone comment on salted v. unsalted butter. I’ve read through the comments and notice it was asked once but not answered and I don’t see anyone mention which type they used. Many thanks!

@Erin – Personally I use salted butter in all of my baking except for laminated doughs (puff pastry, croissants, etc.) or recipes that contains a lot of butter. I find the amount of salt pleasing but others may not agree. It’s a matter of taste.

20. Linda

Delicious! I baked 1/2 of the dough and rolled the rest up like a log within saran wrap and froze for later use. Just as good!

21. Beth

How much dough do you scoop out for each cookie — that would help to determine baking time. Do you leave the baked cookies on the sheet until they’re completely cooled, or do you transfer them to a rack at some point? How far apart do they need to be? Is parchment necessary? Thanks.

@Beth – About two tablespoons of dough or so, I usually use spoons to scoop or roll into a 2″ log then cut about 1/2″ thick. I bake at 360* for 12 minutes and let cool on the sheet for 5 minutes or until they transfer without falling apart. From the cookie sheet they go to a cooling rack. I leave a 2″ space between cookies.
      Parchment isn’t necessary but it helps with the clean up, I hate the clean up. :)

@Chantelle – Turbinado sugar (also known as Sugar in the Raw) is a course, less refined sugar. It softly tastes of brown sugar and in these cookies gives a lovely, sugar crunch. If you don’t have it you can replace it with brown sugar.

22. Paulina

It really is THE chocolate chip cookie!!!! Best I ever ate!!! Thanks for share the recipe!!!!

23. Ash

I randomly stumbled upon this website looking for a new chocolate chip cookie recipe, trying something new from the norm. I love this recipe. The first time I tried it they came out a little too dry, it seemed like a little too much flour, possibly something about the type of all purpose flour I have right now too. I loved the taste though so decided to try it again, with a couple of changes to accommodate for the dryness. I added 1/4c butter, 1/2ts vanilla, and 1 1/2ts milk. The moisture was perfect, but I think it took a little bit away from the flavor. But it still had the perfect crispiness on the outside, perfect consistency in the middle. I also love a salty chocolate chip cookie. The turbinado sugar is an amazing touch, the crunchy consistency is very welcome change from most chocolate chip cookies. Definitely a new staple to my recipes. Thanks Ashley!
    Also, if you have any other suggestions for the dryness it would be appreciated!

24. Shannon

Made these a few days ago and I love them. Perfect combination for me. My only issue which I’ll watch next time is even if they were a little golden they got too hard when they cooled, only happened on the first batch in the oven but it’s definitely something to watch.

25. Lacey

My cookies always (and I mean ALWAYS) come out flat and spread. I follow the recipe to the T. What would cause my cookies to always come out flat???

Lacey – I’m sorry you are having problems with them. Are you creaming the butter and sugar enough? I will cream for about 7 minutes. That helps incorporate air into the mix which gives the cookies lift. Also butter temperature affects the spread of cookies. Are you baking them cold or room temperature? Just a few initial thoughts.