You may have guessed by the title of this blog that I have a thing for salt. Resting on a little ledge in the kitchen, always within arms reach, are at least three different salt varieties. In the inside pocket of my purse I carry with me a small container that contains a modest amount of both Fleur de Sel and Maldon. In our kitchen salt is the most frequently used ingredient, which is why I’m surprised that it took us until now to make some ourselves.

6181935615_caa09b3a96_b

We grabbed the largest containers we could find, (at our house those just happened to be two growlers) and headed to one of our favorite local beaches. Carrying the growlers down to the beach, we ignored the odd looks from the fellow beach goers that were shot in our direction. Eager to gather our ingredient we headed straight to the water stopping only to catch our breath as the cold bite of the pacific caused a temporary stall in the process.

6181952171_b95388efcf_b

Soon enough we had the containers filled and we continued our time on the beach searching for shells, skipping rocks and watching the kite surfers rush past us as they soared through the water.

6181932471_07b1189db3_b 6181942753_bfcf429ae4_b

When we arrived home I passed the beach water through several layers of cheese cloth (four, at least) to capture the bits of sand, rogue sea shells and kelp that came with our catch. The water that was left in the pot was perfectly clear.

With the sea water set somewhere between a simmer and a boil it took nearly four hours for us to reach salt. Every so often we would check the process then return to our daily tasks while we continued to wait for the water to vanish and leave behind a finely grained salt that manages to capture the best of sea.

By the time we had salt the boys had gone to bed. My excitement caused rash thinking as for a moment I contemplated waking them to show the end result. Reason took over and I waited until morning to share with them the fruit of our labor.

We ended up with about 1/2 cup of salt after boiling down 2 gallons of ocean. Not a lot considering the time invested in the process but it remains to be well worth it. It has given us even more reason to return to the beach often and there is nothing wrong with that.

6181953895_918be63de9_b 6182479204_0ef782384c_b

As for the salt itself – it’s wonderful. We had been enjoying it on our food for weeks before I ended up at a potluck with Mark Bitterman, the author of Salted- a book I adore, and also the owner of The Meadow located in Portland, OR and New York. I had Mark give it a try and he ended up taking home the remaining salt I had brought with me that evening. The next day he sent me a message saying he had a chef try it and the chef “flipped out”.

Needless to say my boys are thrilled with their effort. Now we find ourselves busy keeping up with the demand as word has gotten out that they are making salt and people have been wanting to buy. In the meantime we are enjoying this activity that provides plenty of learning opportunities, fun times together, and many trips to the beach. Not to mention, great salt.

I realize it’s not Friday but this post was shot with film. Most often I try and post my recent film shots of Fridays. Here are other Film Fridays to peruse at your leisure.

1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9.

All images were shot using Kodak Portra 400 using a Canon A1 50mm 1.4.

I realize it’s not Friday but this post was shot with film. Most often I try and post my recent film shots of Fridays. Here are other Film Fridays to peruse at your leisure.

1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9.

All images were shot using Kodak Portra 400 using a Canon A1 50mm 1.4.

88 Responses to “Making salt”

1. jana

Not that we need a reason to wander around our little local beach but, I can’t wait to go there and try this. I’ll sprinkle some on the butter we’ve been making and it will go perfect with the fresh baked baguettes that I’ve been trying to perfect.

2. Emily

My fave? The cowboy collecting the water! Adorable! Just returned from a weekend at the sea south of Dublin and wishing I read this post before returning sans salt water. Not sure Dublin water would be quite clean enough, despite all the boiling!

3. Adina

Love this idea, sounds like it would make a great little holiday gift too! Did you just go down to a Puget Sound beach to collect the water or did you go all the way to to the coast?

4. Brit

Oh my gosh this is such a great idea!! I don’t live by the ocean but I do live in Salt Lake. Thinking a trip down to the lake is well in order.

5. Stephanie S

This will be a fun activity the next time we head over to Alki or Whidbey! I love salt too, one of my favorite books is Salt by Mark Kurlansky and I love to check out the varieties at The Meadow. Love the inspiration to make salt from our “home” water!

6. Jacqui

What! I never knew you could make salt, how awesome! Especially since I have the Puget sound only several blocks from my house. Thanks for sharing!

7. Anna

I love this post! Beautiful pictures and what a great idea! I’m thinking I’m going to start bringing salt water from vacations as souvenirs.

8. alison

What a great idea Ashley! I think the boys and I may have to take our growler with us to the beach next time too!! I love how creative you always are!

9. Jennifer

Awesome! I have been wanting to head down to the beach for a few weeks now specifically for this! I plan on using my 6-gallon pressure canning pot for it. Question: I live in West Seattle – which beach did you go to… I was thinking Lincon Park Beach…do you think it really matters where?

@Jennifer – We have just gone to Carkeek in the past. I’m sure the water from Lincoln park would be great. I wonder if there would be a taste difference? Happy salt-making!!

10. Denise Whitney

I never thought of making salt myself. Facinating! I, too, have a variety of salt to choose from when I cook but choosing one you rendered yourself….divine

11. Nena

Genious, apart from creative!
    I am excited with this post and of course with the photos.
    You always give me a good reason to spent my time here.

Regards,
    Nena

12. Crystal Malek

Oh wow, just when I think you’ve given me enough awesome ideas to keep me busy, this?? We were just at the beach this past weekend, but now I have a reason to go back asap!! This is just too neat. The babies will get a kick out of it. Thanks so much…and gorgeous shots, as always. :)

13. MikeVFMK

Rad. The salt is obviously outstanding but the fact that you started this whole process with your kids is even better. And it’s teaching them some really amazing skills and lessons and one day it will be a story they tell their friends. Trust me, you’ll be the cool mom in the stories.

14. Suzanne

My family made salt last fall and winter. It started as a fun experiment with the kids, and then turned into project resulting in holiday gifts for our friends. We live at a marine lab where we have access to filtered sea water, which made it easy. Can’t wait to get our little factory up and running again as the weather grows cooler. Thanks for the great post!

15. Holli

My husband calls me the Salt Queen! I love the idea that I could make salt myself. It never occurred to me before as something to even explore. It’s the perfect thing for my “made from scratch” ways. And, a wonderful lesson for my beach lover kids:)
    Lovely photos as always!

16. Mikaela Cowles

Wow! That is a time investment. What did your house smell like with all that ocean water boiling away? It looks like the end result was a course salt perfect for topping things. I can only imagine how satisfying it is to know you’re the one who took it from the water!

17. Kimberley

What a perfect activity for your young boys. And so awesome to have it praised by Mr. Bitterman. (PS: I just made salt too! There must be something in the air. :)

18. p

This is a great post. Just wish I lived near a beach but, I will bookmark this for the next time we’re at one. Your blog is great and I’m glad I found it.

19. Samantha

This sounds so great! I would love to do it myself, but I see some potential problems with it. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I’m wondering about the toxins in the ocean water? It seems that the filtration process would get rid of the sediment and the boiling process would kill the bacteria, however any pollution in the water would remain in the salt and possibly be very concentrated. Do you know if there’s anything one can do to purify the water?

20. Meaghan

I have the same questions as Samantha about any pollution in the water. I wonder about those small filtration systems for backpackers? Just thinking out loud. I live thousands of miles from the nearest salt water, so this isn’t something I’ll have to worry about anytime soon, but I would love to try it someday if it is safe!

21. Annisa

This is so very cool! I do have a question about the process: Did you turn the heat down super low once most of the water had evaporated to prevent the salt from burning? At what point did you know it was done? Thanks for a great, inspriational post!

22. karen

This is so timely as I find myself homeschooling my kids for a while starting next Monday and this is a perfect science class to start. We are 10 minutes by bike from False Creek in Vancouver.

This might seem rather naive, but I’m wondering if there is any worry of contamination or pollutants remaining in the salt? We might consider a further destination if there exists any possibility.

Thanks!

23. Amanda

Can you infuse the salt with herbs/spices, etc by putting them in cheesecloth and throwing them in as the sea water boils away and then pick out the cheeseclosth at the end?

24. Life Currents

This is amazing. Thanks for sharing it! I can’t wait to try it. We love to visit Whidbey Island in the Puget Sound (Washington), and I think the how fresh and clean the water is would come through in the sea salt. Thanks again, I’m inspired!

25. Liz

Wow! Salt is one of the leading causes in this nation of hypertension. Salt in moderation once in a great while would not hurt anyone, that is if you are eating completely natural foods, and even then salt is not needed. You can use celery, which has natural salt in it. With all the processed foods and frozen food – snacks, et al. – one should not want to even eat these foods that are rich in fats and sodium. You ought to be ashamed to be contributing to America’s hypertension and that advertiser that endorses you for their product (dish washer) – should be also ashamed of themselves.

Wake up people. Stop being lead around like you are blind and absolutely absent of any sensibilities. Salt kills.

26. Kim

I love the idea around this, but I wonder about the energy expended for 4 hours of simmering for only 1/2 cup of salt. I wonder if there is another way to get it evaporated without my stove being on for so long?

27. Christina

Now THAT is hysterical!! (I’m referring to Liz’s post above regarding hypertension.) FACT: Salt has been used since the beginning of time to enhance and preserve foods. FACT: Salt is a mineral which is absolutely ESSENTIAL to life. No salt = death. In fact, when a person needs IV fluids when they are sick, guess what the primary fluid used is? Yep, SODIUM CHLORIDE. Our bodies are made up of fluids that are primarily saline in nature. FACT: If salt killed people in the numbers that so-called “experts” say they do, the human race would cease to exist. FACT: The crap in the Morton’s box that has been made in a lab and has had iodine added to it is a far different animal than natural sea salt. I’m one of the people that can tell you for certain that my body feels far different when I’ve ingested table salt as opposed to sea salt. The two are not the same. FACT: Hypertension has only become a major problem in the last hundred years or so… interestingly enough, it coincides with the introduction of far greater quantities of processed, irradiated, pesticide-laden, hormone-laden, preservative-laden, antibiotic-laden, boxed foods. When people ate more naturally, it was not nearly the problem that it is today. FACT: The AMA’s guidelines on acceptable blood pressure limits have been lowered again and again and again, coinciding with the introduction of new drugs each time this happens. There is MUCH money to be made on the “hypertension” band wagon. MUCH. Salt does kill… like everything else, when it’s overused and when we eat crappy salt knockoffs. Eat sea salt… enjoy life… be healthy.

28. Kenya

great story about salt!
    but first, what kinds of salt is Fleur de Sel and Maldon, and what are they used for? can you use sea salt on anything?
    what a wonderful experiment to have with the kids, and this is coming from one of the biggest 32-year old kid you’ll ever meet ;P
    love the pix too, as always