Homemade Snickers // Not Without Salt   IMG_8692 Currently in my freezer there is one last slice of ice cream pie. Next to that, a loaf pan of semifreddo minus one bite-size crater removed from its surface. In the fridge a pan of brownies teeters on a bowl of pudding. In the drawer where the vegetables should live, there is beer and a bag filled (well, not quite as full as it was yesterday) with homemade Snickers candy bars. Everything but the candy bars are for the book. These are for you. Well, so are the book recipes but this recipe is for right now. Seeing that it is October and the conversation around our dinner table often centers around what each of the kidlets want to be for Halloween (Ivy is currently planning to be a Hello Kitty princess) it seemed appropriate that we make some candy. Homemade Snickers // Not Without Salt Homemade Snickers // Not Without Salt Homemade Snickers // Not Without Salt

Homemade Snickers

It’s a multi-step process but completely worth it. In it you’ll master both nougat and caramel and be left with dozens of little peanut-laden candy bars. If you choose to share this bounty you’ll be met with high praise and life-long admiration for your efforts.

makes 3 dozen (depending on desired finished size)

For the peanut nougat:

1/2 vanilla bean, seeds removed

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

2 cups roasted and salted peanuts

1 1/2 pounds milk chocolate

1 tablespoon oil

peanut nougat:

Butter a 9×13 inch baking pan then line it with parchment paper so that a few inches are left hanging over the side. Set aside.

In a saucepan combine the sugar, corn syrup, honey and water. Stir gently then wash down the sides of the pan with water. Cover the pot with a lid and set over medium high heat. Remove the lid after 5 minutes then continue to cook until the sugar reaches 275 degrees F.

While the sugar syrup is boiling place the egg white in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Start the machine on low, add the salt and beat until frothy. Increase the speed to medium and beat until stiff peaks form.

Drizzle in the hot syrup down the side of the stand mixer while it is running. Try to avoid pouring the syrup over the whisk so the hot syrup doesn’t splatter. Continue to beat the nougat until it cools slightly and starts to pulls away from the sides of the bowl. This entire process should take 3-4 minutes.

Butter a spatula then stir in the the creamy peanut butter until well mixed. Add the nougat to the prepared, spreading evenly with the buttered spatula.

Set aside and let stand while you prepare the caramel.

caramel:

Combine the sugar, golden syrup and water in a large saucepan. Stir gently to combine then wash off the sides of the pan using water and your clean hands to feel if any sugar remains on the side. If stray bits of sugar fall into the caramel it can cause the caramel to crystallize so it’s important to make sure all the sugar is in the bottom of the pan mixed with the water.

Place the lid on the pan and put over high heat. Having the lid on during the first few minutes of boiling creates condensation that further helps to wash away any sugar that may be left on the sides of the pan. After 5 minutes remove the lid and let the caramel continue to boil until it reaches 300 degrees F. If some of the caramel starts to color you can gently swirl the pot to combine.

Add the cream, butter and vanilla seeds once it has reached 300 degrees F and then continue to cook until the caramel reaches 248 degrees F. Remove from the heat and stir in the peanuts. Pour the caramel over the nougat. Let sit at room temperature for 40 minutes then refrigerated until completely firm, about 30 minutes.

optional: add some flake salt to the caramel layer before covering them in chocolate.

Melt the chocolate in the microwave or using a bain marie on the stove. Stir in the oil.

Cut the candy bar into 1 inch squares and dip into the melted chocolate.

Set aside on a sheet tray lined with parchment. Place the candy bars in the refrigerator to set up.

These candy bars will keep for three weeks in the refrigerator or two months in the freezer.

*There have been a number of people having a hard time with the consistency of the caramel. You really need an accurate thermometer for this. The ChefAlarm from Thermoworks is my current favorite. It’s fast, easy to read, works for both candy and meat and clips onto the pan so you don’t have to burn your hand while holding it in the pot.

76 Responses to “Homemade Snickers”

1. Angela

When I first clicked this, I read the first part of the ingredients and closed the window. ‘There is no way I’m making that’. It took me two minutes to talk myself into taking another look. Because I knew I would love it and I would make it and eat them all.
    So far, nothing has happened yet. I’ll keep you posted.

2. Ruthy @ Omeletta

I love, love, love these- absolute genius! Have never thought of making Snickers from scratch but they actually don’t look that complicated. I’ve never tried my hand at homemade nougat but this would be a great pre-Halloween weekend project! (and the ridiculous admiration from family and friends would be totally worth it, too)

3. Betsy

3rd Paragraph, under “nougat” – I’m guessing this should read “speed” and not “heat?” otherwise I can’t make sense of it (but I cannot wait to try this recipe, later tonight!)

4. Margaret

Yum. Can the golden syrup in the caramel be substituted with corn syrup or something else? Can/should the peanut butter in the nougat be ‘natural’ peanut butter? Thanks!

You can you corn syrup if you prefer. Golden syrup adds a lovely flavor but you’ll still get great results with corn syrup. I used creamy Jiff but you can use an all natural peanut butter as long as the oil and the peanut butter have been very well mixed.

No, 300 degrees is correct. You want the sugar to caramelize initially. When you add the cream and butter the temperature decreases dramatically. Bringing the caramel back to 248 degrees ensures that you have a caramel that is not too wet, has a nice chew but also isn’t too firm. It’s just above soft ball.

5. Kathryn

I’ve just discovered the joy of a snickers bar and now you go and raise the bar with a homemade version that looks insanely good. Definitely making these asap.

6. momofnine

Sounds wonderful…here’s hoping I can recreate these! I wonder if you have ever varied the type of nuts, like pistachios or almonds. Thank you for sharing!

7. Kasey

These look incredible, Ashley! You are so talented. Also, I can’t even imagine how much tastier homemade snickers are than the store-bought kind.

8. Amy

Oh, my! These look amazing. I’m always trying to cut back on sugar. Just when I start to do well, something like this comes along!

9. Denise Yaney

Someone just told me about your blog and also “Cooking With Mr. C.” on Facebook. I will check your blog out. Denise

10. Angela Derry

I’ve never really liked peanuts or peanut butter, but I am inclined to make these. Would substituting almonds and almond butter for their peanut equivalent make any significant changes?

11. eliza

These were wonderful… taste and looks! But my caramel seems a bit too chewy, almost to the “peanut brittle” stage but not quite. I had the right temps (unless my thermometer is off) but am wondering if I took too long to get up to the right temp?>

It sounds like your thermometer is off. Also, caramel continues to cook even after it’s off the heat. You can account for that by removing it from the heat a couple of degrees before the finished temp.

12. Laura Dembowski

I need to make these! I am allergic to chocolate and have been missing Snickers, but many recipes use marshmallow fluff or something yucky. I will make these and coat them with carob. Thanks for the recipe!

13. Abra Alani

Thank you for posting this recipe! I’ve been making homemade Butterfingers for a couple years, but haven’t ever tried any other type of candy.
    I just made these yummy little Snickers morsels yesterday, and am coating them this morning. The only trouble I am having is the caramel is too soft (even after being in the fridge overnight), when I cut a piece before dipping it the caramel oozes off the nougat, and as soon as I dip it into the chocolate it loses its shape really fast. If I wait until the chocolate is cooler it works a bit better, but the main problem seems to be the consistency of my caramel. Do you have any suggestions for the next time I try this? Maybe less cream or something along those lines? I’ve never made caramel from scratch before.

14. Sis Adger

These look scrumptious!

I have a question though. When you say to wash down the sides of the pan with water (in nougat and caramel layers) are you saying that adding the extra water doesn’t affect the recipe? I can’t seem to reconcile a measured amount of water with an unspecified amount to wash down with. Lol. OCD a little, maybe?

Also – the word pan or dish is missing from ‘pour the nougat into the prepared…’ See, told ya I was OCD hahaha

In the process of the sugar becoming caramel all of the water is cooked out so the amount really doesn’t matter. It’s there only as an aid to prevent crystallization.
      Thanks for the edit. I appreciate it.

15. Jenn

YUM. Absolutely decadent! I will definitely be giving this a try. Your photos are fabulous and incredibly intriguing. Thanks so much for sharing!

16. Denise

Check out “Cooking With Mr. C.” on Facebook and blog for the best Thanksgiving recipes for the month of November. Denise

17. sara forte

I have a strong affection for those snickers ice cream bars. But THESE, your candy masterpiece, crumbled up into a real good vanilla bean ice cream. Oh yes yes yes. They are so gorgeous. Another congrats on the site, it looks so beautiful, Ash!!

18. Brian @ A Thought For Food

Oh goodness… yes. You know, I was such a deprived child and never had Snickers as a kid because my sister is highly allergic to nuts. I have them once in a while now, but I’m thinking homemade would be WAY better than what I’ve had from the store.

19. Madeline Chapin

yummm! I just added these to my -need- to make list! I feel like I always burn caramel though, this looks like a good recipe with plenty of details!

Thanks for sharing!

20. Helen

Hello! These look incredible, I would love to make them for Christmas treats as presents for some relatives, however I am worried how well they will travel. How long will they survive outside the fridge?

21. Sheila

Yum! I made these last week and they were sooo good, disappearing almost instantly! If you don’t mind, I’d love to share your recipe with my notes and giving credit to you. It’s just so good, people need to know about it! :)