We were so young when we married. Wise enough to choose to spend the rest of our lives together but yet too young to know who we were. While that route may not be for everyone I am so glad that Gabe and I have grown up together.

I wasn’t into food when we met (which seems unimaginable to us now). In fact I was pursuing a career in medicine – a very short lived pursuit that eventually turned into an art degree with a teaching certification. Gabe was studying communication, looking ridiculously handsome in his navy peacoat, taking photos whenever he had the chance and not drinking coffee.

Twelve years later he’s drinking coffee, brewing it with over a half dozen methods, roasting his own beans and staying up till nearly dawn to clean and repair our burr grinder. He’s changed (although he still is quite handsome, more so I’d say).

In marriage it’s not an agreement to do life with the person they are on your wedding day, it’s a decision to marry who they are then, who they are now and who they will be. It is a commitment to love them through their growth and support their changes. Even if you marry at 40 you’re not going to be the same person at 60. Life has a way of shaping, refining and changing us. The hope is that you find someone who will continue to be at your side through it all.

My once coffee-loathing husband anticipated the opportunity for us to steal a moment alone on the beach during our recent vacation. He envisioned us lingering over a great cup of coffee while the gentle waves lapped at our feet.

So with the proper equipment in hand and a mug of boiling water we set out towards the still beach once the kids had been quieted. I marveled at the scene. Who is this man who will now go through such lengths to have us enjoy great coffee in such a desolate (and quite romantic, mind you) setting? He’s my husband, whom I love more than when he didn’t drink coffee.

I realize coffee is a petty change in the vast ocean of changes that have occurred in either of us through these years but for me it stands in as a sort of symbol for the other ones – the much greater ones. As with the other changes I’ve loved watching this passion for coffee evolve. I’ve cherished the moments that I can support him in this growing interest and if it one day fades or grows even further, I’ll love him still. Probably more so, as hard as that is to imagine.

If any of you are interested here is a list of equipment needed if you too would like great coffee on the beach, in the woods – or anywhere for that matter.
Brewing system: Mypressi Twist – great espresso from a hand held machine. It uses Co2 cartridges.

Beans: Coava Kyochere – Portland, OR (I’ve mentioned Coava before – we’re fans)

Water carrying vessel and drinking cup : Stanley Outdoor Mug With Clip Grip

Grinder: Hario Coffee Hand Grinder Skerton
Thanks so much to Boone for joining us on our coffee date for the sake of taking many of these stunning images of the two of us.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

77 Responses to “Dating My Husband: {Good} Coffee on the Beach”

1. Ellen

Love this! Just the kind of date we love, though we usually pick up the coffee… that man is dedicated! Gorgeous shots too.

Where did you get your sweater? Love the stripes and the length…

2. Margherita

You’re such a cute couple and your word are very wise. “The hope is that you find someone who will continue to be at your side through it all.” I absolute adore this. You couldn’t have it said better!

3. NicoleD

Incredible, Ashley! I love how you said marriage was a decision to love them then, now and who they will be. So true and written so beautifully.

4. Prerna@IndianSimmer

What a beautiful beautiful post my friend! Loved ever sentence that you wrote specially the third para where you described what you think marriage is. That’s exactly I believe what it is! Coming from a country where marriages are “arranged” more than they are a “love marriage” I think a lot of us believe in what you just said in your post. Its so refreshing and beautiful to see long relationships still blooming and evolving after years, like yours.
    Good luck to you two! :-)

5. IdaBaker

What a great location for a wonderful start to the day, with someone you love.

I wish you many years of happiness, and look forward to seeing another post about enjoying coffee with your partner, in about 25 years. :)

6. Kate Harvey

This is a beautiful post. Such a testament to what marriage should really be about! I think it’s wonderful that you’re enjoying the changes that life brings and the way your husband is constantly evolving, like we all are.

Kate
    Something Ivory

7. Amy Sho

Yes! good perspective. it’s refreshing to see a good, time-tested marriage. I love this post! great photos and the coffee looks wonderful!
    Amy

8. DeAnn @ TheSIPproject.blogspot.com

You two are too cute! You are both so happy and comfortable with each other and it shows in the photos. Great post! It’s wise to be interested in your spouses hobbies/passions as well as your childrens hobbies/passions that way you can talk to them about it or know a little about what they are talking about. Goodness knows I jabber on about photography all the time to my hubs and he listens to it ALL. Guys don’t seem to jabber as much as us women folk but I am sure you know more about coffee because you listen to him. As always a pleasure to read, always look forward to your posts. Oh…and they are looking for people for next seasons Master Chef…hint, hint ;)

9. April

What a sweet post of you and your “date”! I think it’s better to grow up together. I did that with my husband and we have been together for 24 years and are still going strong! And you’re right, people do change and circumstances change and life evolves. And if we’re really lucky we get to do all of that together!

I don’t drink coffee, but your husband sure makes it look good with all of his bean roasting and fancy tools! ;)

10. Melanie

Love this, It makes me think about my own husband and our relationship. We did not marry young, but I believe the same is true. We appreciate each other. It is so important to ‘sneak away’ for a few minutes or hours to be together. :)

11. Stephanie

Great blog today! So sweet & encouraging to see marriage that works. I think coffee is an essential part to waking up, but my hubby isn’t a coffee drinker. It is fun to grow together. Life is so unpredictable anyways you either grow together or grow apart. Cheers to all those fun dates you have had and will have. Sigh my family just moved from Ca and I miss the beach alot! Your pictures are great! Maybe my hubby can take me for a coffee moonlit walk or something :)

12. sara

love this. such true thoughts about changing and growing together, and loving each other through that. I think that’s a really neat thing about marrying or dating someone for a length of time – to spend time thinking how things were different…how we were different, and now better. You both are too cute. Hope you get lots of coffee dates. Your love is an inspiration. xo

13. Katie

Love this post. I’m only 23, and a bit away from marriage, but it’s inspiring to hear people have such good things to say about relationships changing for the better, when so many people seem to become bitter over time. Beautiful shots – what was your strategy for getting so many self portraits from different angles?

14. Megan Gordon

This is so wonderful, Ashley. I love what you say regarding growing with the other through time…you guys are a great testament to this. I thought I saw some fancy coffee equipment at Brandi’s wedding? xx

Megan – Yes you did. Silly us to bring our equipment when there was already great coffee. But I guess you never know when you might need a shot of espresso. I take comfort in knowing it’s around. PS I would love to see you soon.

15. Abra

Thank you for sharing this moment. I attended the sweetest, truest wedding last weekend and I am over the moon for love these days. Thanks for keeping me in that space. Cheers to love!

16. Aimee - Buttons&Bookends

While I drink my coffee this morning I will be thinking of how true it is that relationships evolve and people change. Now, more so than before, I look forward to growing with my future husband and getting to know the person he will become. Thanks for these beautiful thoughts!

17. katiecrackernuts

A lovely thing to do and a lovely sentiment about the long road of relationships. As a friend of mine once said when I asked her about the harder times in her marriage, she said she made the vow of for better or worse and figured the rocky parts were just “the worse”. A no-brainer really. So glad you mentioned there was a third person there. It wasn’t until the last picture that I went hang on a minute, that’s not a timed shot. Fun times and a good coffee. What could be better.

18. Lorna

Dear Ashley,
    I adore your spirit. As you evolve and change over the years, I trust that your spirit will remain. You are beautiful inside and out :)
    Thanks again for a beautifully honest, introspective post.
    Love Lorna X

19. lesli

wow! love it! nice to know other people are as focused on good coffee as I am! I am married to someone who is in the coffee business and has been for years, yet doesn’t drink it! I drink enough for both of us though….LOVE your blog!

20. Kasey

Oh you guys! I didn’t grow up with Matt, but I feel like I can really relate to the way that you and Gabe tick…I think Matt is thisclose to starting to roast his own beans :) I love these gorgeous photos! What a spot!

21. sarah

this is wonderful. i feel similar in many ways, young when tying the knot and more in love today than then. i love that a friend came along and captured this sweet simple date.

22. Stephen O'Brien

Hi Ashley, what a beautiful story, and so glad our mypressi could join you and your husband on your date. :) We developed it for all sorts of reasons, but the one you wrote about here is one of the most magical. Gorgeous photos too!

23. Courtney @ Bake. Eat. Repeat.

This was lovely. My husband and I just celebrated our third anniversary and I’ve already seen how we’ve changed, and grown, together. It’s so thrilling to think of all the new and old passions, hobbies, and pursuits we’ll find along the way. What a wonderful journey to look forward to!

24. brianne

This is so beautiful! My fiance currently doesn’t drink coffee so this gives me hope for his acquired taste ;) Also, totally adding that espresso maker to our registry.