Happiness is a Sunday with no plans. An early morning where the first few steps are taken towards the oven in order to pre-heat. And even though Ivy manages to put an entire tub of expensive face product in her hair and the boys spend all afternoon doing everything but cleaning their room, Sunday still delights.

I linger in the kitchen, make plans to read a new book, and mix together a few ingredients to make a simple apple “bread” from a recipe card tucked inside my great-grandmother’s recipe box.

Soon we’ll gather around the table for an early dinner which, unlike weekday dinners, took longer than 20 minutes to prepare. We’ll then head to church then come home to do more of the same. All these things help to ease us into the weekdays. Today we linger. Today we’ll move a bit more slowly and grasp the fading moments of the weekend. Monday brings routine, early mornings and work but we won’t think about that yet. For now Sunday is here, dinner is almost ready and there are a few more slices of grandma’s apple bread. I do so hope your Sunday was as restful as ours.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Chopped Apple Cake

My great grandmother referred to this as apple bread. I love that about her. I also love that nearly ninety percent of her recipes in her box are for baked goods. This cake is wonderfully simple and takes no more time to make than it does your oven to pre-heat. In the future I plan to experiment with some other flours and sugar but this morning I wanted this cake just as grandma enjoyed it.

1 ½ cups flour
¾ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup oil (I used canola and walnut)
2 eggs
½ teaspoon vanilla
2 cups peeled and chopped apples (about 2 medium)

Pre-heat your oven to 350*F. Butter a loaf pan and set aside.

Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar in a medium bowl. Add the oil, eggs and vanilla and stir until combined. Fold in the apples. Scrape batter into the prepared loaf pan and baked until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean, about 60 – 70 minutes.

Let cool 10 minutes before unmolding on to a wire rack. Let cool until just warm then slice.

71 Responses to “Chopped Apple Cake”

1. Brian @ A Thought For Food

Apple cake is my favorite thing to make when I have excess apples (which is typically the case this time of year). Your great grandmother’s recipe sounds wonderful… and what a lovely thing to make on a Sunday morning. Hope you had a great weekend!

2. Daytona @ Outside Oslo

Don’t you love having a grandmother’s recipes to pull inspiration and memories from? My maternal grandmother gave me her recipe boxes–and her old handwritten recipe books! They’re such precious items.

3. Tracey Evans

Apple cake is just total comfort to me. Can’t wait to make this. I just love your writing, so simple, yet so real and true. I try to ease into the work week as well. Happy Sunday evening! Hope you have a great week! :)

4. Brenda

Thank you for posting. Our Sunday was similar. No plans…just a quiet family afternoon. This recipe seems so simple…it must be good :)

5. Cheryl

Don’t you just love the utter simplicity of oil-based cakes like these? There’s something so freeing about not having to pull out our heavy, modern mixers. (p.s. I love the part of your photo I can’t see as much as the part that I can.)

6. Erin | The Law Students Wife

I positively adore 1. Lazy Sundays and 2. APPLE BREAD. I have an old recipe belonging to a dear friend’s mother that is a sacred fall tradition for us. Our two recipes are actually quite similar. I hope it brings you as much warmth as it does us! Sounds like it was just perfect :-)

7. Stefanie

Your words so simply and beautifully describe the ideal Sunday, day of rest. Mine came pretty close yesterday, but was lacking apple bread. Thank goodness there’s always next Sunday.

Tea – This cake would LOVE a cream cheese frosting. It’s quite tender and because of the large apple chunks would be hard to layer but a topping of a soft and tangy cream cheese frosting would suit this perfectly. In fact just the thought of it makes me want to bake up another loaf – which would be number three for the week. Oy.

8. Suzanne Perazzini

We still have apples around even though we are well into spring here. They make cakes and loaves so moist. I made a beetrrot cake the other day and it was lovely and moist too.

9. Art & Lemons

I’ve been looking for a good apple bread/cake recipe for slow Sunday mornings. Yours happened to arrive right on time. Who says one can’t find a sliver of laziness during the week ;)

10. laura

Yum! I have been making banana bread & sneaking in some apples…makes the bread super moist. This looks delicious!

11. STH

Tried this recipe last night and I’m wondering if maybe there’s an error in the amount of salt in the recipe? Mine came out a bit salty.

12. Kelly

Wow! I made this yesterday but “healthified” it a bit by replacing the oil with 3 large, very ripe mashed (nearly pureed) bananas, 1 full t. cinnamon and using 1/3 c sugar and it was amazing! I beat the sugar and eggs together in the beginning for about 7 minutes until really fluffy then continued as instructed. Thank you for sharing!! I am sure if I had made it as the recipe is listed it would have been even more amazing so thanks again!

13. molly

Makes me want a month of Sundays :) And a slice of this bread, mmm….

And, a yoda quilt!! That is beyond awesome. Quilts daunt. I’m officially in awe.

M

14. Kitchen Butterfly

Dear Ashley – this post is so…..’like an article I wrote for a magazine’ about Sunday Brunch, my new family tradition. I’d so love for you to read it…..cause we echo the same sentiments! I love the simplicity and warmth of this cake!

15. Christine Somers

I went apple picking three weeks ago and I still hadn’t done anything with them. When I read your grandmother’s recipe, I jumped up, diced up a couple of apples and mixed up the batter. The apple bread is now in my oven and my house is starting smell like fall. Of course I still have 50 odd apple still in the refrigerator. But thanks for the gentle nudge.

16. tea_austen

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking of doubling the recipe, chopping the apples smaller, and making it in a springform pan with frosting on top. I’ll let you know how it turns out!

17. Salt

I agree about the use of less salt if going the sea salt or non iodized route (Kosher).

This recipe looks great – going to check it and try to whip something tasty up soon! Thanks for sharing!

18. Julie

So so so lovely… I’m going to make this using some of the Ambrosia apples I just bought. I keep on buying them.. need to use them!

19. Jeane M.

Apple cake sounds perfect for this weekend afternoon tea. Glad to agree with that, happiness is randomness weekend for me too. Enjoy! :)

20. Mariza

Ashley. I came upon your blog some time back and have loved your posts and recipes. They always come out perfect! I’m really a novice when it comes to baking but somehow you make it easy. I wanted to try this apple cake but wanted to substitute whole wheat flour and/or oat flour. Do you have any suggestions? I know the whole wheat can make it dry and hard. Thanks for you wonderful work.

21. Stephanie

I love this post Ashley. I savor my quiet Sundays so much. They ready me for the week as they do you. And I have to say that I love the top image with the kiddos in the background.

22. Alison

Used a combo of applesauce and canola oil for the oil (1/2 and 1/2) and the cake turned out moist and delicious.

23. Julie

Yum, that looks awesome! I think every grandmother — or future/potential grandmother — should have her own version of apple cake (mine does, and it indeed came over with her from Russia, so you can take heart in the fact that there are stories just like the one you imagined, though the disparity is very funny). My grandma slices the apples very thinly and adds raisins, but it’s basically the same. Shana Tova!

24. Toni

lovely and yummy.
    Sunday morning is my treasure. It let me do lots of missing thing, such as baking a new recipe.

25. Michelle Templeton Art

This cake is baking in my oven as I type this and my kitchen smells warm and delicious. I have often baked my grandmother’s applesauce cake which has raisins and walnuts and is wonderful. But I’m enjoying baking another grandmother’s cake and I know it will be great. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

26. Eleonore

This is an outstanding apple cake. I have taken it to several affairs and everyone wants the recipe. It is so fast also. My son and daughter have also taken it to church and school events and received many compliments. As parents of young children they have little time for baking and appreciate how fast this recipe is.

27. Fiona

Your cake looks beautiful and your (or your grandma’s) idea of using walnut oil in the batter to compliment the chunks of apple is genius. I think a Sunday where everyone can just potter about at home, where everything slows down a touch and where something glorious like your cake is baked in the oven is an ideal way to spend a day

28. susan

I was so excited to make this as a Christmas gift. Luckily I tested it first. I bakes mine for 90 mins and its still very oily. ? I triple checked and I used the 3/4c called for… suggestions? The top layer though is divine.

29. Michele

This is the third time I’ve made this and every time, it’s a hit! I usually bake for a Church event once a month. I’ve been making this with 1/2 cup of Splenda instead of sugar (our Pastor is diabetic) and it’s still delicious! No one can tell it’s sugar free :) Thanks for a keeper recipe!! Love this!!