5598661225_4798083e20_b

Last week I had my first taste of rhubarb and asparagus. For me those two tastes symbolize Spring more than the presence of Tulips or the gentle warmth of sun (still waiting for that).

The tangy tart bite of rhubarb combined with a buttery shortbread crust and cool whipped cream. The bitter taste of a subtle char from a hot roast in the oven set against the mild sweetness in a freshly plucked spear of Asparagus. These are the songs of Spring and I sing them at the top of my lungs after what seems to have been years of cold and dreary days.

But there is another taste that has become a Spring tradition – as sacred as congealed cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving, that even though it is laden with ingredients I can’t pronounce I eat it. One overly sweet bite at a time. I’m talking homemade Cadbury Creme Eggs.

5599244302_b3a0d83476_b

Apparently this is the year of taking our favorite guilty pleasures (remember our Rainbow Chip Cake?) and converting them to homemade versions that completely leave the store-bought variety sulking in shame.

In my version the interior is created using a generous amount of butter, Lyle’s Golden Syrup as a replacement for the corn syrup, vanilla bean, salt, and a couple of subtle drops of Orange Blossom Water which is completely optional but gives this homemade version a soft perfume that intoxicates with every bite.

5598661137_a44b627d1b_b

In an effort to counteract the incredibly sweet center I coated my eggs in a bittersweet chocolate. And while I can still only take one bite in a sitting I consider this version more balanced and pleasantly sweet rather than painfully sweet.

Imagine the unrelenting joy if someone were to find these in their Easter baskets?

Homemade Cadbury Creme Eggs

makes about 15 eggs depending on the size you make them. My eggs were just a little smaller than non-homemade creme eggs.

inspired by this version seen on instructables.com

½ cup Lyle’s Golden Syrup
¾ stick (6 tablespoons) butter, softened
½ teaspoon salt
3 drops orange blossom water (optional)
1 vanilla bean, seeds removed (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cup powdered sugar
¼- ½ teaspoon yellow food color
12 oz dark chocolate, chopped (or 1 bag Ghirardelli 60% chips)

Place the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer that has been fitted with the paddle attachment (this can easily be done by hand or with a hand mixer). Add the Golden Syrup, salt, orange blossom water (if using), vanilla seeds and vanilla. Mix on medium-low to combine. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula to make sure everything is mixed well.

Turn the mixer to low and slowly add the powdered sugar. Mix until completely smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.

Place ⅓ of the mixture into a small bowl and add enough food color to obtain desired color.
Cover both bowls with plastic wrap and put into the freezer for at least 15 minutes. It is necessary that this mixture be very cold while working with it.

5599239762_9cfcaa21d0_b

When the sugar mixture has completely chilled remove from the freezer. Working quickly take about ½ teaspoon of the “yolk” mixture and roll it into a ball. Continue forming your yolks.

Once the yolks are complete place them on a plate or a sheet tray covered with parchment and then put that back into the freezer.

Now working with your “whites” use a tablespoon measure to scoop out the sugar mixture then roll that into a ball. Continue until all the white portion of the sugar mixture is gone.

If the “whites” are too soft place back into the freezer for a few minutes.

Remove the “yolks” from the freezer. Place a “white” in the palm of your hand and gently flatten a bit. Create a indent in the center to rest the “yolk” in. Place the “yolk” in the center of the “white” then cover it up. Roll the “white” into an egg shape. If at any point the sugar mixture gets too soft quickly put it back into the freezer.

5599235632_aca099a816_o

Continue this process until all your eggs are complete. Return to the freezer.
While your eggs are chilling temper your chocolate (David Lebovitz has a great post on tempering chocolate).

Or melt the chocolate in a microwave at 30 second intervals stirring very well in between. Add 1 tablespoon canola oil to the chocolate and stir well. This gives you a little more flexibility with the chocolate eliminating some of the need for precise tempering. You will not, however get as nice of a crack as you bite into the egg.

Working with one egg at a time, remove the egg from the freezer and stick a toothpick in it. Dip the egg into the chocolate and carefully let the excess chocolate drip off. Place the toothpick into something – like a yam perhaps – while the chocolate sets.

5598662017_c204f36e95_b

Place the chocolate covered egg into the fridge for 10 minutes while the chocolate sets.

Carefully remove the toothpick from the egg and cover up the small hole with a little bit of tempered chocolate.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

122 Responses to “Homemade Cadbury Creme Eggs”

1. Violet

These are seriously drool worthy! I am a huge sucker for creme eggs, the home made version looks even better than the original :D

2. Kathryn

I would never have thought of making my own creme eggs but they look surprisingly easy and I love the idea of making them just that little bit better for you.

3. Bianca

Sweet goodness! There are some things that quintessentially spring for me- cadbury cream eggs is one of them. I know I would make these and eat them in one sitting!

4. Michelle

Freaking sweet BRILLIANCE! These are the cutest little nibbles ever! Stand tall and be proud – this is fantastic! I love the idea that they are not nauseatingly sweet.

5. Teresa

Omigoodness, those look amazing!! My favourite Easter treat!
    I hope it’s ok if I share this link on my family blog :)

6. Nicole S.

HOW did you KNOW I was planning to make these and looking for a super awesome tutorial and not-so-boring recipe????!!!

7. Clara

Oh, Ashley- these are amazing… just amazing! This recipe represents exactly how I like to celebrate Easter.

8. sara

you are incredible. So impressed by your creativity. From the yolk all the way down to the final product sticking out of a sweet potato ;) lovely work.

9. Jamie

Curse you and your homemade Cadbury eggs! I had successfully talked myself out of eating the store bought ones but now I’ll have to try these… darnit. = )

10. Darlynne

This is just fabulous. What a great idea, I can’t wait to take it for a spin.

11. melia

Gorgeous!! I can’t stop looking at these and sharing the link around hoping that someone will want to make them with me!

12. travis

wow these look delicious. Cadbury Eggs are an Easter tradition at my house, but making my own never even crossed my mind… Thanks for posting a recipe! Definitely gonna try my hand at this

13. Anna

Ashley – this is amazing! The photos are beautiful and your description of the coming of spring makes me wish we had rhubarb and asparagus ready to harvest here. I haven’t eaten a cadbury creme egg since I was young, when they were a delicacy. I’m not that interested in them any more, but I am always interested in the homemade version of anything. I just might have to try these.

14. Errin

I always wanted to like and eat these…even as a kid, but I could never stand them. These however, look like something I could get behind. It is also very cool that you made them. :)

15. Monique @ Make Me Drool

Brilliant! I think Cadbury Creme Eggs remind so many people of their childhood. I love your adult interpretation of them. I still indulge in these every year. Now I will have to try making my own! Thanks for a great idea.

16. Taz

wow, this is amazing! I have a huge soft spot for creme eggs and I never thought it was possible to make them myself. Wow!

17. Brian @ A Thought For Food

Do you know how happy you’ve made everyone by posting these? Now, I grew up in a Jewish household, so I never celebrated Easter… but I can’t remember a year that didn’t go by that I didn’t have a Cadbury Creme Egg.

18. Cindy Rodriguez

You are so amazing! And these sound even much better than the originals!

19. Sara

I’m excited and anxious to make these- I agree that they sound amazing! I’m curious though, do you know what quantity this recipe makes? Would like to know before I attempt! Thanks so much.

20. Julie

I was just wondering today if these could be made from scratch! of course you’re the one to do it! Love Lyle’s golden syrup, too!

Julie – Thanks for commenting. I’ve just recently fallen in love with Lyle and his syrup. I’ve since started using is as a syrup for french toast and such.

21. Kitchen Butterfly

What is fate? Coincidence? I smiled………….when I saw your post, and when I’ve ‘written’ mine in a few days, I’ll send you a photo. A bit different but definitely with Cadbury’s chocolate eggs and cake pops on the brain! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE what you’ve done.

22. Stacey Allaire

Seriously these look amazing! I would have never thought to make these. So delish!!

23. Sheena S.

Excited to try your mould-less method. I’ve been on the hunt for an egg-shaped chocolate mould for far too long and Easter is going to be here before I know it.

24. Taryn

I LOVE the idea of sticking candy sticks into the sweet potato! I was making cake pops the other day and was at a loss for how to keep them standing, so I will definitely try this next time!