4701009935_8f0bbc2002_b

You better believe me when I tell you that you have just found the last Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe you will ever need. I know. I am not the first person to claim this weighty statement. After all, it wasn’t that long ago that this recipe was spreading as quickly as that nasty stomach virus that infected our entire family over Christmas.

In actuality everyone’s definition of the perfect chocolate chip cookie is different. Asking 20 people what qualities define their perfect cookie and I am sure you are going to get as many different responses. I will say however that I have converted many followers to my recipe. In fact, just recently I was told that I had ruined someone from ever eating another cookie that wasn’t this one. And for that I am not sorry and I am not surprised.

My perfect cookie is varied in texture. The exterior rim, the color of golden brown sugar, is perfectly crisp. Beyond the crunch there lies varying levels of chewy gooey-ness. I remove the cookies from the oven just when the edges start to brown. People think I’m crazy and question my timing as the cookies appear under baked. But I assure them that I am a professional I have done this thousands of times. The cookies continue to bake on the tray and as they cool the gooey center transforms to a perfectly chewy interior. Cookie eaters question no longer.

4701644904_c90309a748_b (1)

updated photo

The dough, although perfectly flavored with salt and a high proportion of brown sugar, exists to hold the chunks of chocolate in place. That’s right I said chunks and not chips. The funny, (more sad than funny) thing about chocolate chips is that they are filled with substance similar to wax. I don’t know about you but I don’t really enjoy eating wax. The reason for the wax in the chips is so that they do not melt – they hold their shape, which is quite cute but I’ll take taste over cuteness any day. Using couverture (fancy name for quality chocolate that is used for coating truffles and such) allows the chocolate to melt and pool. If you were to break these cookies in half you would see layers of chocolate and dough – similar to the layers in puff pastry, and you all know how crazy I am about those layers.

ccc5

Look how much Roman loves cookies (actually he wasn’t eating the cookies he just always looks that happy)

I use large chunks of bittersweet chocolate, lots of brown sugar, a touch of Turbinado sugar, and sprinkle of  salt on top – making these this the last chocolate chip cookie recipe you will ever need.

THE Chocolate Chip Cookie
8 oz.         2 sticks butter
2 oz          1/4 cup white sugar
2 oz          1/4 cup Turbinado sugar
12 oz        1 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
2  eggs
1/4 oz       2 tsp vanilla
1 lb.          3 1/2 cup All Purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp Baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 lb. chocolate (use the best quality chocolate you can afford. With a serrated knife cut chocolate chunks roughly 1/2 inch)
Cream the butter and the sugars until light. Scrape down the side of the bowl. Continue mixing while adding the eggs one at time. Make sure each egg is incorporated before adding the next. Add the vanilla. Scrape down the bowl with a spatula. Combine the flour, soda and salt in another bowl. With a whisk, stir to combine. With the machine on low, slowly add the flour. Mix until just combined, taking care not to over mix. With a spatula fold in the chocolate.
If you so choose, and I do recommend that you do, sprinkle a very fine dusting of good quality sea salt. Fleur de Sel or Murray River Pink Salt are my recommendations.
Bake at 360* for 12 minutes. They should be lightly golden on the outside but still look gooey on the inside.

THE Chocolate Chip Cookie

2 sticks butter (8 oz)

1/4 cup white sugar (2 oz )

1/4 cup Turbinado sugar (2 oz )

1 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed (12 oz )

2  eggs

2 tsp vanilla (1/4 oz)

3 1/2 cup All Purpose flour (1 lb. )

1 1/2 tsp Baking soda

3/4 tsp salt

1 lb. chocolate (use the best quality chocolate you can afford. With a serrated knife cut chocolate chunks roughly 1/2 inch)

1/2 teaspoon good quality salt, for sprinkling on top before baking

Cream the butter and the sugars until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes on medium high. Scrape down the side of the bowl. Continue mixing while adding the eggs one at time. Make sure each egg is incorporated before adding the next. Add the vanilla. Scrape down the bowl with a spatula. Combine the flour, soda and salt in another bowl. With a whisk to combine. With the machine on low, slowly add the flour. Mix until just combined, taking care not to over mix. With a spatula fold in the chocolate.

173 Responses to “the last chocolate chip cookie…”

1. April

I have tried this recipe once exactly as written and my son and I passed them around at our local town parade last weekend. They were a hit! I wanted to bake again this weekend but didn’t want too many sweets in the house. I had a box of hot cereal packets, the super whole grainey all natural crunchy stuff that I didn’t care for cooked, but it had a great texture and honey and cinnamon flavor I thought might taste good in bar form. So I made your cookie dough base, (sans the turbinado as it was full of natural sweet stuff) and added an extra egg and made a grainy sweet buttery granola cake. I wasn’t sure it was going to work out, but my husband, picky eater trophy winner 43 years and running, loved it!! My 4 year old loved them too, but was confused as to where the chocolate was. Thanks for the great recipe and even better blog!

2. Karen Steph

I baked these cookies today, with the help of my delightful, yet slightly over-enthusiastic 2-year-old son. I’ve been searching for THE chocolate chip cookie recipe for too long now and not one of them has wowed me. Until today. I have called of the search. THE recipe has been found. My only dilemma now is: do I make the uninspiring cookies that never tempted me to eat them; or do I use this recipe exclusively and resign myself to buying a larger size in jeans every season……

3. mya

i would really like 2 try dis…but i cant get the turbinado sugar…can i substitute it with something else?

4. nbc

These cookies look amazing. I baked a batch and they didn’t quite turn out the same. Do you use parchment paper on your baking sheets? My batter seemed a little dry- I used large eggs, would extra large be better? I did sub regular sugar for the Turbinado. Also, 12 minutes didn’t seem long enough as they didn’t seem to cook too much more on the sheet as they cooled. The added salt is a very nice touch. I did use regular semi-sweet chunks as I also find it challenging to chop chocolate in consistent chunks. Any other advice would be very helpful- I want to end my search for the perfect cookie recipe!
    Thanks!

@Nina – I’m so sorry they didn’t turn out. I do use parchment on the baking sheet. If you don’t have parchment use pan spray. Try extra large eggs next time to see the difference. The regular sugar shouldn’t have made too much of a difference. The turbinado is there for flavor and a textural difference. As all ovens are different it is hard to create a very accurate baking time. For my oven at 360* 12 minutes is perfect. But there are so many variables – is your oven accurate? How big are your cookies? etc. The other thing is that I like my cookies very soft internally, others may not.
      Don’t worry about the chocolate chunks being consistent. The idea is that the chocolate melts into the cookie. You can have chunks as big as 1″ with everything still turning out beautifully.
      I hope this helps!

5. nbc

Ashley, Thanks so much for the quick feedback. Yes, I do use parchment paper, so luckily that is the same. I will switch to extra large eggs next time. I will make the cookies a little smaller, too. Good to know big chunks shouldn’t make a difference. I do like my cookies soft and chewy on the inside, too. So, I hope to get them right. My oven is pretty accurate, but that can always be tricky. I was surprised that there are 3 1/2 C of flour- I think that is the most I have ever used in a cookie recipe (with proportion to eggs). But, I (and my husband, kids and coworkers) am more than willing to keep experimenting to get it right! Thanks again.
    BTW- I love the peony photo on your blog- my favorite flower and it brightens my day every time I visit!

6. Mrs. L

I made these last night for my husband’s birthday. They were so incredible we ended up eating them for “dinner”. I had to put the leftovers in the freezer before things got really out of hand.

7. Norma

I do agree that the chocolate chips do taste very waxy.I’m switching over to the other chocolate,should be fun slicing up the chocolate.I have the Miele wall oven so I’m going to bake them at the convention oven temperature.

8. Ashley

First, I need to tell you that these are the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever made. I even found that when I accidentally left them in the oven a bit too long, the chocolate and sugar caramelized, making, what I thought would be a sad, slightly burnt batch, a success. So THANKS!

However, when I bake the cookies, my chocolate oozes everywhere, and I end up losing a lot of the chocolate from actually being in the cookie. They’re still fabulous, but I’d rather not sacrifice my chocolate to the bottom of the cookie sheet. Any suggestions? Do you think this is has to do with the kind of chocolate (Ghiradelli & Lindt bars, chopped) I’m using? Or the size of my chocolate pieces?

9. Annie

Had an office party dessert social and was looking for something to make. I did use the three different kinds of sugar but the two things I did different was 1) lessen the salt and did not put any salt on top of the cookies, and 2) used regular semi-sweet chocolate chips. I was a bit skeptical about the 12 minute cooking time but boy oh boy I’m a believer now! The cookies turned out great. Your recipe is a keeper! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

10. Courtney

I wanted to let you know I stumbled on this recipe this fall and have made it countless times since! I am so happy to finally have found the perfect chocolate chip cookie! The dough is easy to mix up and always bakes up great. I have experimented by adding coconut extract and coconut to make coconut chocolate cookies, and peppermint extract and baking cocoa to make chocolate mint cookies and they have all been delicious. Thanks so much!

11. Erin

I’m excited to try this. Can anyone comment on salted v. unsalted butter. I’ve read through the comments and notice it was asked once but not answered and I don’t see anyone mention which type they used. Many thanks!

@Erin – Personally I use salted butter in all of my baking except for laminated doughs (puff pastry, croissants, etc.) or recipes that contains a lot of butter. I find the amount of salt pleasing but others may not agree. It’s a matter of taste.

12. Linda

Delicious! I baked 1/2 of the dough and rolled the rest up like a log within saran wrap and froze for later use. Just as good!

13. Beth

How much dough do you scoop out for each cookie — that would help to determine baking time. Do you leave the baked cookies on the sheet until they’re completely cooled, or do you transfer them to a rack at some point? How far apart do they need to be? Is parchment necessary? Thanks.

@Beth – About two tablespoons of dough or so, I usually use spoons to scoop or roll into a 2″ log then cut about 1/2″ thick. I bake at 360* for 12 minutes and let cool on the sheet for 5 minutes or until they transfer without falling apart. From the cookie sheet they go to a cooling rack. I leave a 2″ space between cookies.
      Parchment isn’t necessary but it helps with the clean up, I hate the clean up. :)

@Chantelle – Turbinado sugar (also known as Sugar in the Raw) is a course, less refined sugar. It softly tastes of brown sugar and in these cookies gives a lovely, sugar crunch. If you don’t have it you can replace it with brown sugar.

14. Paulina

It really is THE chocolate chip cookie!!!! Best I ever ate!!! Thanks for share the recipe!!!!

15. Ash

I randomly stumbled upon this website looking for a new chocolate chip cookie recipe, trying something new from the norm. I love this recipe. The first time I tried it they came out a little too dry, it seemed like a little too much flour, possibly something about the type of all purpose flour I have right now too. I loved the taste though so decided to try it again, with a couple of changes to accommodate for the dryness. I added 1/4c butter, 1/2ts vanilla, and 1 1/2ts milk. The moisture was perfect, but I think it took a little bit away from the flavor. But it still had the perfect crispiness on the outside, perfect consistency in the middle. I also love a salty chocolate chip cookie. The turbinado sugar is an amazing touch, the crunchy consistency is very welcome change from most chocolate chip cookies. Definitely a new staple to my recipes. Thanks Ashley!
    Also, if you have any other suggestions for the dryness it would be appreciated!

16. Shannon

Made these a few days ago and I love them. Perfect combination for me. My only issue which I’ll watch next time is even if they were a little golden they got too hard when they cooled, only happened on the first batch in the oven but it’s definitely something to watch.

17. Lacey

My cookies always (and I mean ALWAYS) come out flat and spread. I follow the recipe to the T. What would cause my cookies to always come out flat???

Lacey – I’m sorry you are having problems with them. Are you creaming the butter and sugar enough? I will cream for about 7 minutes. That helps incorporate air into the mix which gives the cookies lift. Also butter temperature affects the spread of cookies. Are you baking them cold or room temperature? Just a few initial thoughts.

18. stacy

Just took my first batch out of the oven! Amazing! Love the baby picture, so adorable..

19. Kristin

Your website is so amazing and inspirational. All of the recipes I’ve tried from Not Without Salt have been fabulous! These cookies were no exception, and I consider myself to be the ultimate chocolate chip cookie fan and have tried at least a dozen various chocolate chip cookie recipes.

I made your BL-slow roasted-T’s for my husband and me last week, also fantastic. I hope to make your poppyseed cake with strawberries and mascarpone next weekend for a special birthday. Please keep the deliciousness coming!

20. Peaches

Hi Ashley! Thanks a bunch for sharing this recipe. I and my family soooo love it! It is indeed the best! Just want to ask what you think went wrong with my cookies. After baking, they came out soft and chewy just the way I like but they turned crispy after a few days. Can you give me suggestions on how to keep them chewy please? Looking forward to your reply. Thanks!

21. Penny

Ashley…you rock girl! I have eaten my weight in cookies over the years. I love a good chocolate chip that has a crunch on the outside, but is chewy heaven on the inside. So hard to perfect. I haven’t made your recipe yet, but I am making a grocery list as soon as I hear back from you. I have volunteered to make cookies for my daughter’s field trip this Thursday. I am making your cookies! What kind of flour do you use (bleached, un-bleached, pre-sifted, King Aurthur?) I have had my battles with flat cookies too. I know one thing for sure, I have never beat my butter that long so that could be the problem. There seems to be some debate over room temp butter or cold. I was always taught room temp. What do you suggest? Do you use cold eggs directly from frig or do you let them sit on the counter for a while? I would love to be able to duplicate your recipe. I could eat the computer screen. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recipe and all your insight!

Penny – So honored to have my cookies be along on the field trip! I use Gold Medal unbleached flour. My butter is room temp. If it feels a little cold just beat for a couple minutes longer. I will often pull my eggs out cold then run under warm water for 20 seconds to release the chill. Sometimes I’m too lazy and I don’t do that – I don’t notice much of a difference. I hope that helps!

22. Annette

Chewy center, large pockets of high quality melted chocolate throughout- it doesn’t get much better than that. Thanks for the recipe.

23. Caitlin

I am going to make these in like 30 min!!! they look so good! And my brothers name is roman!!

24. Claudia

Thanks for posting your recipe! My family loved these cookies. I found the first batch disappointing. I could taste the baking soda. So I refrigerated the rest of the dough. For the next three days I made more cookies from the same batch of dough. I found that each day the cookies tasted better and better. No longer tasting baking soda. On the third day the cookies tasted the best. Next time, I’ll just make the dough three days before I want the cookies.

25. Tammy

I just made these cookies, and oh my yummy!!!! I have never had a better chocolate chip cookie…the kids loved them. I used Hersey’s dark chocolate because that’s all I had, but they were still incredible. And the sea salt is a definite must.

26. Gretchen

Just made these cookies last night for the first time. I was so happy to find a recipe where I could find everything on it in Germany (where we just moved). They are simply delicious! I did overcook the first batch a little because I made them a little on the small side. But after that, I learned I just needed to make them bigger and keep a better eye on them in the oven. Otherwise amazing. I also couldn’t find the Turbinado sugar in the market, but just substituted more brown sugar instead. Thanks so much for such a wonderful recipe.

27. Daniela

Hi Ashley, I made these amazing cookies today, and I am amazed how much good chocolate chunks make a difference. They were crunch on the outside and gooey on the inside just like you said. My only problem was that they turned out looking completely different than yours. While yours look like a perfect cookie, mine looked like squished brain if you can imagine, more flat than yours and not nearly as smooth as yours.
    I scooped them with two spoons a shaping them in balls and followed all the instructions. Should I chill the dough before doing this? I would really like to achieve the look of your cookies!

28. Amy

Excellent website you have here but I was curious about if you knew of any message boards that cover the same topics talked about in this article?
    I’d really love to be a part of group where I can get feed-back from other experienced individuals that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Kudos!

29. Gluten Free Diets

You actually make it seem really easy with your presentation however I in finding this topic to be really something that I feel I might never understand.

It kind of feels too complicated and extremely wide for me.
    I’m taking a look forward in your subsequent put up, I’ll
    try to get the hang of it!

30. Natasha

Are they supposed to be cake-like? They are very thick and I’m not a fan of cake-like cookies. I feel like I did something wrong. Did I maybe over mix the batter?

Natasha – Mine generally aren’t cake like. Did you scoop them from the bowl or roll into a log and slice? If you scooped them straight from the bowl try pressing them down a bit before baking. Also, check the freshness of your baking soda – if you want them a bit thinner you can add a bit more soda to the mix.

31. Eliza

Amazing! My 8 year old made these twice in 2 days. They disappeared almost instantly. SOOO awesome. Thank you!

32. Elyssa

I made these last night after having such great success with the sweet/savory nuts. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) I didn’t have as much chocolate as I thought so I ended up just throwing in anything chocolate in the house (a Godiva milk chocolate bar, a dark chocolate Ritter Sport with Hazelnuts). I only had about 10oz but it was more than enough.

These are GREAT, thank you for sharing, they were a hit last night!!

33. video female condom

naturally like your web site however you have to check the spelling on quite a few of your posts.
    Many of them are rife with spelling problems and
    I to find it very bothersome to tell the truth on the other hand I will definitely come back again.

34. Erika

Well, time to throw away my other chocolate chip cookie recipes…I’m never going back! Made this last night and brought to the office today….already received many rave reviews! I was always the weird girl that picked out chocolate chips from chocolate chip cookies – had no idea changing the chocolate would make such a difference.
    Thanks for the ego boost I am getting today from making these bites of deliciousness!

35. Si

This is the first recipe I have seen with Turbinado sugar in the recipe. I am intrigued, and will pin this to try next time I make a batch of cc cookies, which seems to be about every third day! thanks!

36. Sharon

Who cares about ‘best ever’–can anyone have too many excellent cookie recipes on hand?? I just made these and I have to echo to take them out before you think you should–one batch I took out right at 12 minutes with just the edges brown & my husband was wary, so the other batch was in until they were browner…first batch was amazing!! take them out before they are brown!!! Darn good cookies.

37. Jeanne L

I just made these last night and I must agree. It IS the last chocolate chip cookie recipe you will ever need! My sons friend actually gave the best compliment for your recipe…he said they were orgasmic! Thank you for my new favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe! Sorry Toll House ;)

38. Hollie

I’ll let you know… I’ve baked these over and over again. Almost 4 times times and they just keep getting better and better! I add half the chocolate (it’s SUCH a rich cookie already with the ton of sugar) and I bake exactly 11 min. I DROOL over these, and have been known to eat 2 for breakfast!