Remember those lovely little pillowy puffs of whipped sugar studded with vanilla beans? Yeah, so do I.
I enjoyed countless cups of cocoa adorned with the sweet heavenly marshmallows… so many in fact that I had to go on a cocoa sabbatical so I can once again truly enjoy it’s chocolaty pleasures come December (true cocoa season).
So no more cocoa and marshmallows for me. Then what to do with the remaining marshmallows? Not really a hard question at all. Melt them, add butter then stir in a little snap, crackle & pop.
Rice Krispie Treats!
These sophisticated snacks made us smile. The process to make them was almost as much fun as it was to eat them. Just ask Baron who thoroughly enjoyed licking the spoon and then consequently his fingers.
Check out Cooking for Engineers for an in depth study (including pictures) of how to make these cereal treats.
Rice Cereal Bars
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 10 oz. homemade marshmallows
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Spray a 9 x 9 pan and a rubber spatula with cooking spray.Optional: Line the pan with parchment paper or waxed paper for easy removal of the treats.
- In a saucepan, heat butter and marshmallows over medium heat until melted.
- Remove from heat, and immediately stir in the cereal, using the prepared spatula.
- Spread into the prepared pan. Flatten gently with the spatula. Let cool and harden completely. Cut into squares or any fun shape.
- While waiting for treats to harden lick the spoon and the bowl until thoroughly cleaned. Then wash your hands and face to remove inevitable stickiness.